Thursday, September 6, 2012

MCAT's and all that....


Yep, it’s September. The year is almost ¾ of the way through and this is the first time in 2012 that I’ve gotten around to blogging. For the past nine months I kept telling myself that I should try and post something new on our blog but let’s face it, I’m really good at procrastinating. For the rest of the year, there will be something new every week (maybe).

This year has definitely proved to be a busy one and there are a ton of things that I could talk about but I’ll keep it short today.

As some of you may know, my husband, Kyle, is at the University of Utah studying pre-med physics (sounds terrible, I know) with the hope of becoming a doctor sometime within the next decade. Trying to get into med school is quite the endeavor.

One of the biggest hurdles that potential med school students face is the MCAT. It’s a standardized test that encompasses three areas and two writing segments and after looking at some of the practice MCAT’s, I can attest that they aren’t pretty. Welcome to Kyle’s summer of endless studying. Not only did he have summer classes and was a TA for a physics class, he had to tackle that unruly beast of a test as well.

Well, Kyle took that test at the end of July, and then waited for a month to see his results. I remember about three weeks after his test Kyle would check everyday to see if his results had come in. It was agonizing, especially since we knew that our future would be determined by that one test.

Finally, finally the day came and the results were posted. Kyle had gotten a 36. That’s good. That’s really, really good. That’s 97th percentile good! So, with that test score and his 3.97 GPA, Kyle can get into some top ten med schools (think Harvard, Stanford, Duke, and UW)! The only thing that’s left to do is to apply and wait for interviews.

Hopefully in six months we know where we’re going for the next 4-8 years. I’m secretly hoping for Harvard or Duke!

2 comments:

  1. That is incredible!!! I'm so excited for you both! Doing that well on the MCAT is quite an accomplishment in and of itself! Ü

    ReplyDelete