Wednesday, September 19, 2012

When the dogs bite, when the bees sting....


Everyone who knows me understands that if I had my way, spiders would be annihilated, wiped out of existence. There is nothing remotely positive about them. “They kill bugs!” exclaim spider advocates. Well, so do a myriad of other creatures.

Kyle, on the other hand, can’t stand bees, wasps, or any other flying insect that can sting. He doesn’t scream, break out into tears, or throws shoes in an attempt to kill them but he clearly hates them and for good reason. He’s been stung twice within the last month.

The first time he got stung was right before our trip down to St. George for a couple of weeks. We had planted this cute little garden and we were just starting to get harvestable goods (of course). The car was all packed and ready to go but at the last minute I wanted to grab anything out the garden that I could. So Kyle and I walked down to the garden, grabbed some tomatoes and jalapenos, and started walking back to the car. Being the loving husband that he is, he offered to carry everything. That’s when it happened. A wasp stung him right on the Achilles Heel.

Yikes! Huge, swollen ankle.

I’m pretty sure Kyle is allergic to bees/wasps. Not the “deadly” kind of allergic, just the “whatever appendage was stung doubles in size” allergic.  That being said, if he were ever stung on the face or neck I would take him to the emergency room. So, his ankle was super swollen for a good four days down in sunny St. George.

The second time, which just happened a couple of days ago, occurred when we went to take our dog Leonard on a walk. Okay, so he’s not really our dog (friend of the landlord) because we would never name our dog Leonard but we are the ones who water it and take him on all of his walks. I just CANNOT wait to get our own dog!!!

We Love Leonard!

Kyle and I were going to go on a walk and wanted to take Leonard but since his leash was locked away upstairs (the landlady is not very good about leaving the leash out for us even though we constantly remind her) we thought about leaving him behind. As we closed the gate he just gave us the saddest, hurt, ‘how could we leave him’ look. I couldn’t justify leaving him, so I asked Kyle if he’d get some rope from the wood shed and make a little leash. Well, somewhere along the way Kyle got stung, right in the calf. When he got home from school yesterday his left leg was literally twice the size of his right leg.

It’s a known truth that when you’re married sacrifices are going to be made and Kyle has really sacrificed a lot. It’s nice to know that I have a husband that will take a sting for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment